Monday, October 4, 2010

General Conference

This weekend we had the chance to listen to to the leaders of our church give us council and direction. More accurately, we were able to get instructions from Heavenly Father, through the promptings of the Holy Ghost. It was a wonderfully uplifting weekend. I felt the spirit bare testimony to me of the truthfulness of the words. I know that these men are called by God to lead us on the earth today.

One of my favorite talks was by President Monson in the Sunday morning session. He spoke on gratitude. It was a good reminder to me to be grateful for what I have, instead of focusing on what I lack. At this stage in my life, I feel like I am lacking a lot of things. Money is tight and I am not able to work much, so it seems that sometimes we go without the frivolous things in life. We do however, have everything we need: food, shelter and clothing. I need to show my gratitude to the Lord for everything that He has given me. Each day I need to thank him for the bounteous blessings that I have. There are so many people in this world that have less than I have.

I also liked President Eyring’s talk on putting our trust in the Lord and his servants. Sometimes I find it difficult to do everything that I’m supposed to: Go to church, read my scriptures, pray, family history, write in my journal, spend time with my family, keep my house clean….You get the idea. But the Lord gives us commandments, and he will give us the help and strength to accomplish them.

I really enjoyed President Packer’s talk on the family, but what I enjoyed most was the church’s very clear stance on homosexuality. I had a conversation with a member recently about homosexuality. She felt that in some cases, you are born gay. She had known a few men in her life that had struggled with homosexuality, and she felt that it was innate and that they were born that way. I was so happy that President Packer clearly stated that no one is born gay. Heavenly Father loves his children too much to do that to them. Clayton and I were talking and I think that some men have more feminine-like tendencies, but that doesn’t make them gay. They always have a choice.

I’m pretty sure Elder Bednar gave a really good talk too on the Holy Ghost, but I only got bits and pieces of it since Ryan was running around wreaking havoc:) But I will definitely go back and read that one.

No comments: