Saturday, October 23, 2010

Priorties and To-Do lists

Every once in  a while, I get to a point in my life where I feel I need to re-evaluate my priorities.  Some of the symptoms that warn me that it's that time again are feelings of inadequacy, lack of interest in daily life activities, and moodiness.  Well this hit me for the first half of the week and gave me cause to stop and reflect.  After some prayer and contemplation, I realized that I need to re-focus on the important things: God and Family.  To help me keep my focus, I make a To-Do list at the beginning of the day.  I make sure to include things like reading my scriptures and reading books with Ryan.  I also put items that I do every day like showering and getting ready to make me feel like I've accomplished a lot.  I have noticed that when I do this I feel more accountable to myself and am more likely to get things done.  Another benefit is that the TV doesn't come on as often.

Another realization that I made this week is that I do a lot, and I shouldn't feel inadequate.  I don't say this to brag, but just to reassure myself that my day is filled with worthwhile activities.  I am a full-time mom, I work part time, I am actively involved with my church, I cook and bake, and I keep a reasonably clean home.  I think is a common thing for women to belittle the activities that fill their days, but we have a very important and divine role.  I think our biggest fault is that we forget this too often.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Sooo ture Amber... and very well said! I think you are a great mom and a great Friend! Thanks for always being there for me! I often feel super inadequate too! I think we women are way too hard on ourselves! Hey if you need a break with the hubby let me watch Ryan Please!